End gaps (seeing the light)

Old 05-23-07, 01:21 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
End gaps (seeing the light)

I am remodeling my 1954 ranch style home. I have removed all interior doors and floor molding and having the hardwood floors refinished. In doing so I noticed some pretty good sized end gaps, many of which actually show the light from the basement when the lights are off upstairs.

Before I replace the doors and molding, I would like to seal off the upstairs since I have an year round air filtration system incorporated into my AC vents (...family members have allergies).

I figure there must be a good amount of air flow from basement to first floor through the floor perimeter, especially now that I have vacuumed out about 53 years worth of dust and dirt from the gaps.

If this is the right idea, what can I use to seal the gaps? I have read some previous posts on the subject and seems like I need to be careful not to eliminate room for the floor to expand.

Please enlighten me....thanks!

Old 05-23-07, 04:22 PM
End gaps are not going to cause any harm if you fill them. The wood is cut and dead, it is not going to grow in length. Now, the widths of the boards is a different story. The way wood is grown, the cells are long and skinny. Those cells balloon when they absorb moisture. That is why whe whole boards width,(and thickness) grows in dimensions, when a gain of moisture in the wood happens.

Old 05-24-07, 06:53 AM
A
Thanks...I appreciate the advise. If you don't mind me asking, would a general use silicone sealant be sufficient?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: