laminate installed groove-side out

Old 05-23-07, 07:50 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
laminate installed groove-side out

I'm installing Dupont real Touch laminate over tile in basement. So far I have completed a bedroom, 2 closets, and a tight hallway and started a 2nd bedroom only to discover that the groove side has been facing the wrong direction all along. The instruction sheet could have been alot clearer on this important point but it was there. I'm getting to some much longer sections where install is getting more difficult. There is a family room and half a bedroom to go - can't think of anything but to make it work since they don't make double sided pieces (tongue side on both sides) to correct these DIY'er mistakes.
Any suggestions besides pulling up and re-doing?
Thanks

Old 05-24-07, 06:10 PM
M
correction

Meant to say: "laminate installed tongue side out",

groove side out (with starting section tongue facing wall), would have been how I should have done it.

Old 05-24-07, 07:12 PM
S
Put a transition piece in the door ways of any rooms left to do so the two areas don't actually connect, then reverse the material as you head into the new area being done. If you don't want to do that, you could try snapping one side together in the doorways, cutting the locking part off the next seam on both sides, and gluing that seam. That would allow you to reverse the material at that point, but I'm not sure how strong that seam would be or how well it would hold up to traffic.

Old 05-29-07, 07:15 PM
M
Thanks for the tips, I finished off section that had laminate in wrong direction, and plan to use a low profile transition strip at edge of the hall before entering family room. Would have rather done strip at bedroom door but had already done half of hall. Shoud be easier to install now.

Old 05-29-07, 11:04 PM
L
Mikep55, I have been looking at the Dupont real touch laminate(I just need to pick the color). What are your opinions on the dupont laminate? Pros and cons.

Old 05-30-07, 10:32 AM
M
opinion on dupont laminate

As this is my first time installing laminate I don't have experience to compare with another brand. I went with Dupont because it had the the wood-grain texture finish and was a recognized brand name. Since it was bought at Home Depot, my options were limited to a couple brands in that price range. So far, it looks like a good quality floor for the money. The directions included are pretty basic, so you may want to get a good how-to guide if you haven't installed laminate.

Old 05-30-07, 03:18 PM
L
Thanks for the opinions hoping this project won't take too long. i have about 500 sq. ft. to lay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: