Taping Wilsonart

Old 05-30-07, 01:48 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Taping Wilsonart

We are about to put down our Estate Plus laminate flooring and we will be gluing the planks as an extra caution from water. I have read on the forum that you shouldn't test fit the Wilsonart because you cannot get it apart without damaging it.
If it is that strong of a connection, will I still need to tape the joints? I want to take every precaution to insure that the floor is done right.

Old 05-30-07, 07:05 AM
S
Taping joints was common practice back when all laminates were glued together. Now that they snap together, taping is only necessary in particular cases. In yours, however, I think I'd do it as insurance. The joints are engineered to fit very tightly and room for adhesive or sealers isn't usually figured into the equation. Consequently, a certain amount of pressure will be in each joint, potentially making the stuff you put in it want to ooze out. Where it can't, it may try to push the joints apart to relieve the pressure.

Old 05-30-07, 08:39 PM
Ya, don't go crazy with the glue, or you will run into "hydro-loc"
You can't compress it. A very light smear on the tongue, or you will be fighting it.

Old 05-30-07, 11:51 PM
M
Thanks

Thank you both for the replies. I will go ahead and do the taping. I will also go light on the glue to avoid hydro-loc. Wilsonart's instructions showed a 3/32" bead of glue on the groove but it looks like a lot of glue for a tiny channel. I will be starting on the "dry" side of the family room so I should have the hang of it by the time I get to the other side with the exterior door to the back yard and swimming pool. T

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: