Engineered Hardwood on Concrete Slab prep

Old 05-31-07, 10:28 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Engineered Hardwood on Concrete Slab prep

Hi everyone,
I have a few questions. I am installing an engineered hardwood over my concrete slab. I live in the Dallas area. One room I am putting the floor in had linoleum in it. I have removed the linoleum and backing, but there still looks like there is adhesive on the floor. I have used razor blade scrapers, but nothing else comes up from the floor. I will post pictures. How clean does the slab need to be and is there anything else I can do to remove the adhesive?

Here is a link to a picture of the slab. It looks like I haven't scraped anything, but the floor is smooth.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/dutchgin/Floor/DSCF0003.jpg

My other question is if moisture testing is so important, why don't any of the big DIY stores carry the test kits so you can do it yourself. They don't here in Dallas anyway. I guess ordering the CaCl test kits from the internet is the only way to get them.

I know Bostiks Best/ MVP is a good system to use. Is there an adhesive that contains both the adhesive and moisture barrier. I know the urethane adhesive contains some type of moisture barrier, but is it enough?

Thanks for your help

Old 05-31-07, 06:48 PM
What type of scraper? Stand up or on your knees? 4" or 8" wide?

Get a mop bucket with hot water. Mop an area and let it sit for a minute. Then down on your knees with a 4" wide razor scraper, and a pack or two of replacement blades.

It just looks like your elbow grease, lost an elbow.

Blisters have to appear on your palms, before you are a 1/4 of the way done.

Old 05-31-07, 07:31 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Wear gloves to protect your hands!

Heat gun and scraper is often effective for removing the adhesive.

You will need to install vapor retarder, as recommended by manufacturer, over the concrete. If installing a floating system, you will need to install the manufacturer's recommended underlayment unless it is attached to the flooring. Each manufacturer has it's own specific instructions about surface prep, product acclimation, and care and maintenance. Read instructions carefully before making purchase. Do not hesitate to contact manufacturer's customer service if you have questions.

Concrete needs to be smooth. Flatness is also very important for proper functioning of the flooring. High and low spots will affect structural integrity of the installation.

Vapor retarder usually addresses vapor emission problems in concrete. If concrete is wet, moisture issues need to be addressed.

Old 06-01-07, 08:34 AM
D
Thank you for the help. I also have paint to remove from the slab where there was lots of overspray from the walls. I have about 900 sq ft of floor with paint or adhesive on it. Are there any other methods for removing this besides hand scraping, maybe a floor buffer or sanding?

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: