Importance of thickness in engineered flooring

Old 05-31-07, 12:15 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Importance of thickness in engineered flooring

Thanks for your help on this one.

I am about to purchase 1000 squ ft of engineered wood flooring for my upper level condo. I have concrete sub floors but will need an underlay for sound suppression.

I want to save money by purchasing a 1/4 " or 5/16" product over a 1/2" product. I am not concerned with wear and tear, as traffic will be low on these floors. What I am concerned with is that the floors look "solid", and not have a flexible feel or look when they are walked on.

Some people have told me I can glue engineered wood to an underlay, and some say it cannot be glued down. Does it make any difference? My goal here is to achieve a solid, fixed feel and appearance.

Based on the above, do you think I can save money by purchasing my Brazilian Cherry in a thinner wood, with a thinner veneer?

I will have a professional install the wood, I am just trying to save on material.

Thank you for any comments

Tony

Old 05-31-07, 12:37 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Engineered wood is a veneer layer of real wood over layers of lesser quality substrate material. The thicker the veneer layer, the better. Nothing less than 1/8". The more layers of substrate the better for dimensional stability.

Each manufacturer has its own specific instructions for installation. Some products are glue down, some staple, some glue or staple, some float, etc. If wanting a solid feel a glue installation would provide that. Yet, you are on concrete and need a vapor retarder and Acoustical Underlayment especially for glue down laminate and engineered wood floors.

Major manufacturers have good, better, best levels of quality, warranty, and price. It is best to go with the best your budget will allow. Read fine print on warranty for both structural and finish warranties.

Old 05-31-07, 12:46 PM
T

Okay, and thanks

Based on what you have said, I will go minimum 1/8th on the veneer (there goes the budget), and a 1/2 " thickness over all. Also I will find an underlay that can have flooring glued to it.

Thank you

Old 05-31-07, 01:32 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Read installation instructions prior to purchase to make sure you get the right product for your needs.

Old 05-31-07, 01:53 PM
T
will do
thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: