joining two different floor systems

Old 06-02-07, 01:18 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
joining two different floor systems

We put in some Shaw versalock in our kitchen five months ago.

We ordered some more recently with the same visual style, but found out that Shaw has switched to AG style locking system. AG does not tightly lock with the older product.

My spousal unit would rather have her teeth ripped out with rusting vice grips than use a bulky transition piece.

Is it possible to glue the old to the new, or will attempting that lead to separation, despair, and eventual divorce?

Also, my original floor is separating on the narrow connections slightly. I have not installed baseboards yet.

Thank you laminated floor wizards. If I can pull this off I will be a hero for at least 15 minutes in the eyes of my wife.

Old 06-02-07, 03:18 PM
S
Fifteen minutes isn't worth it. Take your whippin' now, get it over with, and put in the transition piece.

Old 06-02-07, 03:18 PM
C
hmmm

that 8' long transition piece is going to look like train tracks. Oh well.

Old 06-02-07, 03:28 PM
S
Have you considered a rubber transition instead? It only sticks up the thickness of the rubber and is available in loads of colors. You may even find one that looks good enough to salvage your fifteen minutes.

Old 06-02-07, 03:32 PM
C
I will look into that, thanks!

So the consensus is that gluing the old and new into one superplank is not going to work, and lead to a disaster, right? I have seen Pergot that is twice the width of a 14 cm plank.

Last edited by craniac; 06-02-07 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Had a thought.
Old 06-02-07, 03:49 PM
S
I don't know that I'd go so far as to say "consensus". I'm the only one who's weighed in on this one and there are others on this forum who do this stuff also and may have another opinion. If the joint is to be in a well trafficked area, I'd be leery of the glued joint holding up over time. Then again, glued joints used to be all we had and they held up. If you have some scrap of the old floor, perhaps gluing some of it and some of the new together and then abusing it to see if it'll take it may be in order.

Old 06-05-07, 11:05 AM
C
The people that sold us the flooring are sending in a contractor to glue the non-matching pieces, so we'll see if that works.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: