Step molding Question

Old 06-20-07, 11:58 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Step molding Question

I am installing a floating engineered wood floor in our master bedroom. There is one step up at the doorway into the master bedroom which means I will have to use a stair nose molding at that door opening. My question is: Can I use a flush stair nose? I am concerned about affectecting the ability of the floating system to expand if I have to nail the flush stair nose down? If I can't do that should I try to use some type of overlapping stair nose molding instead?

Old 06-21-07, 08:08 AM
G
Step molding

I encountered a similar issue with the top & bottom of a staircase that meets with laminate I am installing at the top of the stairs. I have now learned that there is a "stair nose molding" and also a "landing molding". Stair nose molding with laminates will click into the laminate (and is usually glued, because it's on the stairs), and is flush. Landing molding does not click into the planks, which allows for the 1/4" expansion gap. It mounts similar to the end or T molding, and is slightly raised.
If you are only doing for one step up, this should work fine.
My brother is in construction and he explained this to me. Hope this helps!

Old 06-22-07, 08:23 PM
With engineered wood you don't have the over the top molding option, like you do with laminate flooring. A "T" molding is what I have seen used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: