new laminate flooring rising.

Old 07-01-07, 08:48 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new laminate flooring rising.

i had a new laminate floor laid about a month ago in my dining room. when the floor layer got to my fire which has a back-boiler he said that he could not lay flooring up tight under fire (no fireplace). he said that flooring would rise if i did not get a heavy hearth to protect the floor. I had to leave it a week as i was away and when i returned i noticed the floor had risen about 9ft away from the fire. i called him back and he said floor was probably ruined because i had not got hearth in place. i immediately went and bought a hearth and put heavy object over the rise in the floorboards, which i left for 3 days. in that time it went down, but unfortunately it has now come back with a vengence. i am now at the point of ripping the flooring up as it has now got a lot worse. instead of 1 board rising, all surrounding boards are starting to rise as well. before i take boards up i was wondering if this is normal and if so why do the manufacturers not warn you that these things can happen. the laminate was laid onto wooden floorboards with natural woodfibre underlay. i would be very grateful for any help with this.

Old 07-01-07, 06:25 PM
Find where no expansion gap exists along a wall or under a doorjamb, maybe even the F/P hearth. Then trim it back and unlock it.

Old 07-02-07, 07:21 AM
S
I believe carpets done wright has you on the right path. The normal cause of this is due to no expansion gap somewhere. This sort of material expands and contracts a surprising amount and, if the required expansion gap is not adhered to during installation, it will cause what you describe. The material is trying to expand, has no place to go, and begins to rise up somewhere in response to the resulting pressure. Setting something heavy on the humped up area only causes it to hump up somewhere else because the root cause is still there.

Old 07-02-07, 08:48 AM
H
thanks for the support guys. i have telephoned the company and they are sending someone out tomorrow. i will let you know the result of my meeting with them.

Old 07-03-07, 09:48 PM
Did they show up???

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: