Another "after the install" question, vacuum?

Old 07-03-07, 09:01 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another "after the install" question, vacuum?

I have been faithfully dust mopping the floors each day but now it is getting to be a chore! It also does not seem that effective and I end up mopping and then having to sweep the mopping up with a dust broom and pan and frankly, it is time consuming and as soon as I finish the hall and then walk through, I see "missed" things. Plus having the room sized rugs make it difficult to manuever the mop all around the room.
So i went out and bought a new vacuum, a hoover elite upright that has a setting for "hard floors" which basically means that the beater bar does not run on that setting. So is it "safe" to use this on my new hardwood floors or am I just asking for scratches? Is this an appropriate type of vacuum to use? The wheels are hard plastic but did not seem to scratch it when I tried it out in an out of the way spot and it seemed to do okay but oh boy, I was nervous! The floors are already showing lots of scratch marks and we are all taking off our shoes outside and as I said, mopping every day.

Thanks for any advice you can give me, your experiences and tips for keeping your floors clean and debris free! I know that is the main tip for avoiding scratches so I want to do it right.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-07, 10:44 AM
with no beater bar, and as long as the wheels aren't scratching, that vacuum should be fine. i've personally discovered a nice little gadget that combines the swiffer dusters with a vacuum. i guess it's by Swiffer (?). the duster gets all the dust that vacuums just seem to blow around, and the vacuum gets the slightly largers pieces of whatever that the swiffer would normally just push around. i've been very happy with mine. it's way better than using a broom & dust pan. it's a rechargeable type, so i have to work quick, but i can get my area done just as it seems to be losing it's charge. then of course, each time you use a new duster & throw it away afterward. and the vacuum has a little cup that you empty. the ONLY thing that i don't enjoy is picking all the dust & fuzz off the filter. you can rinse it clean though, so that's nice.

Old 07-07-07, 05:24 PM
Annette!! Reaching through my computer to give you a big hug. That swiffer vac is exactly what I need. I still need the "big" vacuum for doing the rugs and any major cleaning but for the everyday dust mop, this will be perfect and spare me from the mop, broom & dustpan combo! By the way, this new Hoover Elite is like pushing a monster-it is so heavy-ugh. Thanks again for posting.

I guess this should have been in "cleaning" or something but I am so focused on the new hardwood floors, I figured someone over here would know! I love my floors but now I want to know where the heck all these dust bunnies come from? Were they always here before but we just could not see them with the wall to wall carpet-lol!? It is so funny how little piles of fluff and dust get deposited in the exact same corners every single day. I have my routine down as to what spots to do in what order and I never fail to find the bunny.

Old 07-12-07, 09:16 AM
i know!!! i'm also amazed at the bunnies! our hardwoods were already in the house we bought, and i hate them!!! everyone thinks hardwoods are so great & they think they'll be able to keep them cleaner than carpet, but carpet is so great for "seeming" clean. no bunnies! with hardwoods, every pebble, fuzzball, blade of grass, & grain of sand is so evident!

i've also heard that, for people with dust allergies, carpet is actually better because it "holds" the dust down and keeps it from just freely blowing around, like it seems to with hardwoods, as is evident by all the bunnies!!!!

the only advantage of hardwoods over carpet, imo, is they do look pretty () and any spills can be wiped up instead of staining & ruining the carpet. but we had a "no food/drink on the carpet" rule, so it was never a problem for us. oh well.

but anyway - glad i could help with the swiffer vac thing! enjoy!!