how to propery level an osb subfloor?

Old 07-05-07, 06:40 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to propery level an osb subfloor?

Hello,
Can some of you guys tell me how to go about leveling a 3/4" osb subfloor?
I am cosidering istalling a kahrs linnea engineered wood floor and the tech support said I can use anything non conpressible to flatten the osb with.

please list all available material you know of for doing something like this, so far I have heard of 15lb builders felt.
can rosin paper be used for this?

Also, most of the raised areas look to be where the osb is butted and nailed on top of the floor joists. Can a belt sander be used to bring this down, or is osb board something that cannont be sanded?

If a sander is in order can you guys reccomend a inexspensive one to do this type of job?

thanks
zim

Old 07-05-07, 08:00 AM
S
Yes, rosin paper works, as well as roofing paper. If you've got that much to fill you can even use roofing shingles. The point is, non-compressive materials. Nothing spongy under there. And, yes, grind down the high spots. The spots you mention are commonly the culprits. As for inexpensive tools, I'm afraid I can't help you there. I do this stuff for a living and need my tools to last, so I always buy the best I can get. Consequently, I don't keep up with the cheap stuff.

Old 07-08-07, 09:53 AM
Z
thanks for the reply smokey,

whats the limit to how far you should grind down the cuppping on 3/4 inch osb?for instance , would 1/8" be considered to much?

Old 07-08-07, 03:51 PM
S
Not normally. Just make sure you don't get into the fasteners or the tongue and groove, if there is one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: