Leveling for laminate

Old 07-08-07, 03:48 PM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling for laminate

I have riped out my existing carpet and pad. I found linoleum on top of the slab. Everything is fine except were I removed the tack strips. When I took these out some of the linoleum chipped away. It is only about 1/16 of an inch, will leaving it as is cause a leveling problem. I thought it would be ok because the vapor/moisture barrier will cushion the difference.

Old 07-08-07, 04:39 PM
S
Tack strip is typically installed against the walls. So long as the holes are not huge and out of traffic patterns, it shouldn't be an issue. 1/16th is within flatness tolerances of most laminate materials any how.

Old 07-08-07, 05:22 PM
L
Thanks I was hoping I wouldn't have to take out all the linoleum.

One more question.

I have mirrored closet doors that I will be replacing the tracks. Should I lay the tracks first and then lay the laminate?

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-09-07, 08:42 AM
S
You can do it that way, but I don't know that I would. If you do, you need to maintain the proper expansion space against the track which will require some sort of termination to cover it. I'd suggest gluing it to the laminate after the install or drilling the holes for screws a bit too big and then just snug the track with screws without applying enough pressure to the floor to impede the movement in it. It's entirely possible some one else will have a better suggestion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: