Self leveling adhesive

Old 07-09-07, 12:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Self leveling adhesive

Will they sell this at most home improvement stores. Also, if I have just a small area to cover, would a spackle type product work?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-07, 01:14 PM
To the best of my knowledge, there's no such thing. You can get self leveling compounds, or you can get adhesive, but I've never seen both in one.

Old 07-09-07, 03:11 PM
I just picked up some leveling compound and the bucket says it is for wood and concrete subfloors. I imagine it goes on wet and needs smoothing and possibly feathering to make smooth. I will post back with the results.

Old 07-09-07, 03:41 PM
Hopefully, I can catch you before you embark on your project. If you've never used self leveling compound, there are some things to know that make the job easier.

Old 07-09-07, 04:15 PM
I won't be attempting until tomorrow, I can use all the help I can get. Any comments will be much appreciatted.

Thanks.

Old 07-09-07, 07:04 PM
OK, I feel better. Here goes. Self leveling does not mean self spreading. You'll need to screed it into place while it's wet and then it will level itself off, sort of like a glass of cornstarch and water will do that's mixed into a paste. Most of these compounds I've worked with like to be mixed fairly loosely, almost soupy you might say. They also don't like to be worked a lot. Figure out where your low spots are, fill them in, screed them off, and leave it alone. I've never had much success going back over it and trying to mess with it. Once it sets up enough to get on it, you can use the sharp edge of your trowel to carve the edges some to blend them in. You can also use Ardex Feather Finish to feather out the edges. If this is being applied to wood, you should be OK, just make sure the floor is very clean. If it's going on concrete you'll need to make sure the area being leveled is very clean, prime it, and then level it. Use a grinder and knock the high spots down as much as possible. The less leveler you use, the better. Over time, if there is not something glued to it such as tile or sheet vinyl, the leveler will tend to break up if it's on a wood floor. You can minimize this by using as little as possible. Good luck on it and we look forward to a glowing report of success.