Laminate floor over tile? maybe vinyl sheet instead?

Old 07-17-07, 01:43 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate floor over tile? maybe vinyl sheet instead?

Hello all,

We currently have a tile floor in our bathroom. We are in the middle of a complete renovation and our trying to decide on the flooring we want to use.

I would like to use a laminate floor. I have found one under the name of Laura Ashley that is extremely thick and heavy with the foam backing pre attached.

I was told that this flooring is water resistant and has a 20 year warranty to back it up. Would this be a suitable floor to install?

We also looked at the latest vinyl sheets that are "unbreakable" and will not dent or ding if placed over a tile floor. Are these a better solution?

We do not want to tear the current floor up from the ground.

Thank you!!

Kevin, Jen, and new baby Allie

Old 07-17-07, 01:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can install laminate in a bathroom BUT you cannot allow excess water penetrate the flooring, it will damage it and void any warranty.

You also can install floating laminate over tile, but I wouldn't do it. It can cause height issues.

You need to follow the manufacturers instructions too the T in order to have the floor warrantied.

Almost all floors are water "resistant" but not water proof.

I'm not sure if vinyl flooring would adhere to tile properly.

I'm sure there will be other posts to this, so hang in there, and congrats on your new baby!

Old 07-17-07, 02:24 PM
C
Thank you! We are having the time of our lives!!

The vinyl flooring we are looking at is a new product. It adheres with a glue that allows you to lift the floor and restick it at any time.

We were told the purpose of this would be to keep groves from forming in the floor because of the ceramic tile below.

This vinyl is extremely thick compared to others that I have seen in the past.

Old 07-17-07, 08:47 PM
S
It sounds as if what they are suggesting for vinyl is one of the new fiberglass back, no glue sheet vinyls. If you're using Laura Ashley stuff you must not be afraid to spend the dough so get the best version of this vinyl they have. It's great stuff and will do the job much more safely in a bathroom than laminate. It comes in wood grain patterns so you can still get that look without the potential issues associated with laminate near water. You will, however, need to float out the grout joints in the existing floor or they will telegraph through your new floor. Get the floor as smooth as possible before installing the new vinyl. It can be installed with pressure sensitive adhesive, as they have suggested, or it can be installed as a loose lay with no glue at all. Either method works.

Old 07-19-07, 11:08 AM
C
Does anyone know of a website where we could research the fiberglass backed vinyl flooring?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Old 07-19-07, 12:46 PM
C
Another question....I was just told that the Witex Home and Heritage collection is an excellent choice for a bathroom.

Any thoughts??

here is the link

http://www.witexusa.com/cgi-bin/vm_us/vio.matrix?kd=9fbeaab8cd155f7&or=58

Old 07-19-07, 01:45 PM
S
http://www.fastfloors.com/article_106/Tarkett-Introduces-FiberFloor-Resilient-Flooring.htm

I've no experience with Wintex, but have installed lots of Tarkett. This is the site for it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: