Gluing quarter round shoe moulding?

Old 07-28-07, 02:53 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Need to know best method of gluing vinyl covered plastic moulding to vinyl base board. Have tried liquid nails but vinyl doesn't bond. Walls run so need something that will bond quickly.
Thank you very much

Old 07-28-07, 03:32 PM
S
Not sure what product you're talking about. Are you trying to put up cove base? If so, there is an adhesive made for that purpose. It's called, oddly enough, "cove base adhesive" and works great. It doesn't however, bond quickly. I've always used contact cement for a quick bond. Put it on both surfaces to be glued together and allow it to almost dry. It'll bond on contact, (hence the name contact cement), so have it where you want it when you put it together 'cause adjustments aren't much of an option.

Old 07-29-07, 06:15 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Check the caulk and adhesive section at the box stores. Look for something specific your job. Pay attention to the instructions on the tubes of adhesive. Products like Liquid Nails require at least one surface to be porous to help with the bonding. Loctite makes an adhesive to attach shower wall panels that may work, it is designed to adhere to plastics. This in addition to a couple of brads to hold while it is setting up should do the trick. I believe Lowes carries the product.

Old 07-29-07, 12:43 PM
W

The material is simulated oak baseboard (mopboard) and simulated oak 1/4 round. The base material is a tan plastic with a simulated oak vinyl covering over it. It's available at Lowes. I tried nailing with finishing nails but the plastic is soft enough so that the nails pull through if it is hit with a chair leg or something like that. I talked to the guys at Lowes but they haven't a clue.
Thanks for your help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: