Hardwood Darkening Question

Old 08-02-07, 10:56 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardwood Darkening Question

We moved into new construction back in sep 2006. found out in about may that there was water damage to the hardwood floor in the kitchen near the back door. The builder had a contractor come out and replace the damaged boards. earlier this week the contractor came in and sanded the floor, stained it and put on a coat of bona woodline satin polyurethane. the next day he came back out, sanded it again and put on the final coat. The problem i have is that the newly refinished floor does not match the color of the wood floor in the entry now. The floor color is a cherry/rosewood type of stain or at least it should be. i assume the floor type is red oak. The contractor tells me that in a couple weeks to a month the floor will match the floor in the entry as far as color. Is this true or am i being fed a line so they dont have to do it again. Also the edges of the kitchen where they used a brush to put on the polyurethane are darker than the middle/inner part of the floor, will these blend to the same tone over time?
Thanks

Old 08-02-07, 02:11 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,183 Upvotes on 1,141 Posts
I'd wait a couple weeks and see what happens. You're already on record with your complaint, so waiting a little while to verify what you were told doesn't seem like a problem to me.

Old 08-03-07, 03:48 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
My suppliers tell me that ALL wood floors will darken with time. Be patient, its not the same as matching paint on a wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: