Where do transitions go?

Old 08-03-07, 07:41 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where do transitions go?

If Im doing an entirely hardwood (laminate) floor, do I put transitions between rooms and the hallways? It is the same style and alignment. Or do I simply go from one room to the others?

Thanks!

Old 08-04-07, 06:09 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate and hardwood are not the same thing. If you're putting in hardwood, no, transitions are not necessary. There are techniques for dealing with potential issues at the doorways during installation, but they don't show when you're finished so there is no look of separation. If you're doing a floating floor, be it laminate or engineered hardwood, the book calls for transitions in the doorways between rooms. Since the flooring is not fastened down, there will be a certain amount of movement in it and the joint at the doorway will have a tendency to come apart, creating an ugly crack in the joint. A transition allows the rooms to move separate of each other. Having said all that, I put the required transitions in the first job I did and was unhappy with the resulting chopped up look to the floor, as was the homeowner. I haven't done it since and have, to date, never had one come apart. If one ever does, I'll just go back and install a transition after the fact, but I don't anticipate that. Your call. By the book or deal with it later if it becomes necessary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: