Cork underlay + laminate w/ pad

Old 08-06-07, 07:54 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cork underlay + laminate w/ pad

Hi. I bought some nice laminate flooring and it has a small (measured between 1/16" and 1/8") pad attached to it. I'm on the third floor in my condo and their flooing requirements require I use 1/4" cork for the underlayment. I'm getting the cork but my question is should I leave the pad on the laminate or should I peel it off and put the laminate directly onto the cork? I'm worried if the pad stays on and the cork together will make everything too soft. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 08-06-07, 08:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do as the manufacturers states. If it says to purchase the cork and doesn't mention removing the pad, then don't do it. You don't want to void any warranties.

If it takes a phone call too the company, then do it.

Old 08-06-07, 09:19 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Not only that, but I can imagine it's going to be a nightmare taking it off. IF the manufacturer states you can/should take it off, I would suggest returning and exchanging it for the laminate that comes without the pad. Wouldn't that save you some money too?

Old 08-06-07, 11:59 AM
K
The padding is actually very easy to remove and I would have gotten without the pad except this was the only type they had in the color and qty I wanted. I'm not too concerned about voiding the warranty either. I guess I just want to know if people who have laid down a cork underlay for laminate have also added a small layer of padding as well and if that worked for them or if it felt funny or caused joint problems.

btw - I checked with the mfg and of course they said use their underlayment which will not work with my condo requirements.

Old 08-06-07, 04:57 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
First off, you should have shopped for what was allowed in your neighborhood. Altering what the manufacturer recommends may lead to problems down the road. Talk to your condo association and ask if it is OK to install what you have purchased. Demanding a cork underlayment is probably for sound surpression, let them know you have a SUPERIOR product with sound insulation ALREADY attached, they should be fine with it.

If you are not concerned with voiding the warantee, then you won't mind when your floor starts seperating at the seams because you have used a non-compatible underlayment.

Match either the floor to your requirements, or the floor to your association. Don't go off and assume you can retrofit an item because you seem to think it will work and expect it to perform as you desire. A lot of duct tape has been wasted trying to achieve similar results.

Old 08-06-07, 05:46 PM
S
Cork is not as compressive as the pad on the back of the laminate, but is still compressive to a certain extent. The only purpose of pad under laminate is to deaden sound, not provide a cushioned or padded floor. If the laminate is allowed to flex too much, the joints are very likely to come apart. I too would suggest checking with the powers that be to see if you can get a variance to skip the cork. If you can't, take the stuff back and learn to like something else that has no attached pad. Seems pretty ludicrous to peel all that pad off, but you don't want double pad under your laminate.

Old 08-06-07, 08:26 PM
It is not easy to compress cork. It is not squishy.

I'd go over it in a heartbeat with attached cushioned laminate flooring and not even think about worrying it would fail.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: