carpet padding stuck to wood flooring

Old 08-07-07, 10:29 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
carpet padding stuck to wood flooring

we have a old house built in the 20s has beautiful red pine floors they added carpet in the 60s now would like to bring back the beautiful woods. My problem is the rubber padding is stuck to the wood floor. We rented a barrel sander but that is not working. Over the years rubber padding has become as hard as plastic.tried everything we know. PLEASE HELP!!!!! It would be ashame to cover up the beautiful floors.

Old 08-08-07, 06:27 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm going to be taking on the same project myself. Some questions: Was the padding glued down? Is the actual padding stuck to the floor, or just the residue from the glue. Were you able to scrape up any of the pad? I'm surprised sanding didn't help.

I wouldn't try this over a large area but maybe it would soften up with some solvent based paint remover and then you could scrape it off. Be sure to provde plenty of ventilation in the room if you do try this.

Old 08-09-07, 09:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,281 Upvotes on 1,219 Posts
Been there - it takes mineral spirits, elbow grease and good ventilation. Not a fun project. Afterward, you will have to refinish the floors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: