Laminate?

Old 08-08-07, 12:05 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate?

We are about to put laminate in our new home, in the kitchen, living room and dining room. Is Pergo the way to go, or are other brands as good? What grade is best for those pretty high-traffic areas? Any advice on colors, care, whatever? Since we're new to this type of flooring, we'll appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Old 08-08-07, 02:19 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
No pro here, but...

Pick any color YOU like, what will match well with the room(s) and your decor. When you find a color you like, make sure you get a sample piece and place it that room as each brand and color will look differently based on what's in the room, what it reflects, what color the walls are, etc..

For laminated wood care you can dust mop, vacuum, and/or use a mixture of vinegar and water and wipe it clean.

What's "high traffic" to you? Kids running around, pets, pet's oopsie whoopsies...? If it's just kids running around, laminate will be fine. As with pets, you might be concerned with possible scratches on the floor and/or their oopsie whoopsies. There ARE laminate wood products for wet areas though. It would be good to get a sample and test it out anyway as far as how well it would hold up to scratches or dropping things. I did a test on the laminate wood I chose and dropped my hammer on it, tried scratching it, etc.

There are several good brands out there including Pergo. Many members here talk good about Wilsonart and Quickstep. There are definitely a few others. I've personally done Quickstep and they're absolutely awesome. Holds up well, looks just like wood, easy installation and everyone that walks into my house always compliments the floors except they would say "I like your hardwood floors". Either they don't know the difference between hardwood and laminate or it really looks like hardwood (OR they're trying to think of something to say!). Either case, I always have to correct them and admit it's laminate wood.

Remember, go with what YOU like! YOU have to live with it.

Congrats on your new home!

Old 08-08-07, 06:23 PM
M
Thanks very much for your tips -- "high traffic" is one ten-year-old girl and a cat who's litter-box trained, so I guess that's not too bad. But from what you said about wet stuff, I'm glad we decided to go with tile in the utility room.

I appreciate your advice!

Old 08-14-07, 08:04 AM
in the kitchen, just be sure to wipe up any spills immediately to prevent the liquid from seeping down into the joints. and in the dining room, either use an area rug under the table large enough to be under the chairs also, or put felt under all the chair legs.

We installed TrafficMaster by Shaw in our previous home (kitchen & dining room) and were very pleased with it, although i believe it's on the lower end of the quality/price spectrum. we also first took a sample & tried to destroy it with a hammer, screw driver & water to no avail.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: