shaving joists

Old 08-09-07, 06:15 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
shaving joists

I want to add hardwood flooring to my kitchen and dinette area that matches the look and height of the flooring in the adjoining family room.

The subfloor height of the kitchen matches the height of the subfloor in the family room, but the subfloor in the dinette area is about 1/2 - 3/4 inch higher (a poorly done addition).

We found someone willing to shave down the joists in the dinette area (about 12' X 8'). I was hoping to get someone else's opinion on this. Is this OK to do? Will we have to reinforce the joists somehow? Any "Gotchas" to watch out for?

Also, we refinished the existing red oak family room flooring about 5 years ago, no stain, just a water based top coat. Will we be able to join the new kitchen flooring and match the coloring without refinishing the family room? The wood runs parallel to the doorway.

Old 08-09-07, 07:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I certainly wouldn't shave down the joists. In our area (Kentucky) a minimum of a 10" 2X can be used for floor joists. In most areas it's a 12". Now, if you're talking about sloping the floor at the doorway to match up the threshold, you can probably get away with that if your current joists are at least 10".

If the joists were to be "shaved" extra horizontal and vertical support would be essential. Horizontal beams to support the joists would have to be set perpendicular to the run of the joists. These would then need vertical posts that would need to stand on concrete footers.

Any less support and the floor will bounce and eventually settle dramatically in the middle.

As far as the color of the floors matching. Any two surfaces finished with a significant time difference in the finish application will result in some difference. In most cases the difference is not too dramatic OR a touch of stain can be applied to further match the surfaces. After the finish is off the floor, wipe it down with denatured alcohol and you'll see the approximate color of the floor when finish is applied.

Best of luck.
CD

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: