Refinishing Hardwood floor with top nails

Old 08-22-07, 07:11 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Refinishing Hardwood floor with top nails

I have an oak hardwood floor from the mid 60's that needs refinishing (badly worn areas, some major scratches, and some stains. The boards are 1-1/2 inches and not tongue and groove so each board was nailed from the top.

I went over the floor twice to make sure no staples were protruding. I'm assuming the staples were from carpeting that was removed. I also made sure all nails that I could see that were close to the surface were lowered and the hole filled.

Most nail holes of course were already filled so I couldn't tell how close to the surface the nails were. My question is how likely I am to sand down to the nails and go through a lot of sand paper. If I do run into problems what is the best remedy?

I'll be using the Varathane ezV Sander from Lowes so the paper is very expensive.

Old 08-22-07, 07:53 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
While you are aware of how deep you countersunk the nails that you did, you have no idea how deep the previous floor finisher countersunk the nails. It is possible, depending on amount of wood removed, to make contact with nails. Light sanding, would remove minor scratches, but deep scratches would require removal of more wood. In the event nails are exposed, these can be countersunk and holes refilled as you have done.

The key is to not remove more wood than is necessary when sanding the floor. The number of sanding cuts required is determined by the condition of the floor and the thickness of the finish that must be removed.

Go to www.nofma.org for the National Oak Flooring Manufacturer's technical manual on finishing wood floors. Click Publications for the Finishing Manual and download for free. The detailed instructions will explain the different grits and explain the sanding and finishing process.

Old 08-22-07, 05:10 PM
H
Smile

I'm just about finished sanding with the course paper and did not have any nail problems. I did notice a couple of nails at the surface that did not cause problems with the paper. In fact they were shiny so I'm thinking as long as the nails are not protruding when you start they can get sanded along with the wood. Just a thought since I can't say for sure this happens.

Old 08-22-07, 06:05 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Countersink nails that have been exposed just as you have done. Make sure you go through the proper grits as recommended at www.nofma.org

Old 08-23-07, 08:17 AM
H
I take back what I said above no problems with the sand paper. On the final 2 passes with finer grit I did get some paper ripping even though not enough to make the paper not useable. I do see more shiny nails at the surface. I'll be countersinking these, filling the holes and then I'll hand sand with a fine grit.

Thanks for the help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: