Uneven subfloor in a pier and beam house.

Old 08-30-07, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Uneven subfloor in a pier and beam house.

I live in a peir and beam home in North Dallas where the soil seems to be constantly shifting. The current floor in the den is parquet and is warped as you approach an interior wall. The drop is approximately .25 inch and begins about four feet from the wall. I have been given different advice as to how to remedy this problem by two different flooring installers. One suggests that I remove the parquet, sand the particle board subfloor to flat, cover with 1/4 inch plywood and install floors. The other has recommended that I use floor leveling compund after removing the parquet. Seems that with shifting soil the leveling compound will crack and fail over time. Opinions? I have also considered simply replacing the entire subfloor. What do you guys think. I continue to debate HW vs laminates. I cannot fathom that I would regret installing hardwoods. I can however see myself 5-10 years down the road regretting installing laminate. I am planning on selling the house in 10 years or so just about the time laminates may begin to show some wear. The cost for 700 sf of quality laminates vs. hardwoods is not such that it would make lamnates a huge value. Advice? The floor will continue to shift. does this make either choice better or worse? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-07, 05:40 PM
That is a band-aid fix!!!

Do it right the first time, and what has been neglected for years it seems.

My grandad, was always under the old house, spring & fall, jacking and shimming something, to keep things level and flat. After he died, the house started to fall apart, because it was shifting so much.

Old 09-12-07, 10:53 AM
Jacking and shimming the joists sounds like something that could lead to a larger progect than I am comfortable completing myself. Who would I call to evaluate the problem and assist me. A flooring company or a foundation company? Or is as simple as Bob Vila makes it look? Jack joist, place shim.

Old 09-12-07, 11:18 AM
Particleboard subfloor? Solid hardwood requires 3/4" plywood subfloor and replacement of particleboard. Whethering installing solid hardwood, engineered wood, or laminate, you will need a smooth, flat surface for installation.

As indicated, the structure should be made secure before attempting flooring renovation. If not wanting to rip out the particleboard and install proper subfloor for hardwood, you can get by with a floating floor over particleboard. But, it will have to be smooth and flat.

If you like the look of hardwood, you can float an engineered wood floor. Plastic laminate is a picture of real wood with a protective coating.