Vapor/Moisture barrier question

Old 09-09-07, 02:46 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vapor/Moisture barrier question

going to staple down 1/2" enigineered to 3/4" plywood which will be going OVER my concrete slab floor(slab is in too bad of shape to glue directly and this is much easier,also vertical height is no concern since all other flooring on this fllor of the house is torn out)..anyway,my question is what kind of vapor or moisture barrier should i use between the concrete and 3/4" plywood? i've done moisture tests and it meets recommended levels,but better safe than sorry..flooring recommends moistur barrier,but doesnt specify which type..so should i use like a 6 mil poly film,or some kind of "paint on" type? thanks for any help
joe

Old 09-09-07, 08:37 PM
6 mil poly, taping the overlapped seams with clear packing tape(it has a real good perm rating) And then a layer of 30# asphalt impregnated felt. The felt keep you from wearing throught the plastic over the years.

Old 09-10-07, 09:47 AM
N
cool thanks for the quick reply. so is there any difference bewteen the black and the clear 6 mil poly,or doesnt it matter? i've seen both at the store..

where do you get the 30# felt,HD or Lowes or someone carry it that you know offhand,is it a common item to have in stock?

also by chance,you wouldnt happen to know of a tool that will shoot nails thru 3/4" plywood into concrete do you LOL?

Old 09-10-07, 10:02 AM
Z
The clear should be fine, I've never heard of any difference of performance between black & clear. Also I know where I live Lowe's carrys the 30# felt CDW mentioned so you may check there or HD.

Now I could be wrong but you may be able to use that tool (I think it's called a Ram Set) that they use for framing but I could be wrong. You may end up shooting the SOB straight through the plywood...LMAO! Surely one of the pros will know!?

Old 09-11-07, 07:26 AM
I
You'll need to use a nailer like this (or one similar) for nailing the plywood into concrete.

This is one made by Aerico, and needs about 150 psi. There is another company called Aerosmith (not the band) that makes one almost identical.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: