Solid TG over old 2-3" plank subfloor dilemma

Old 09-10-07, 09:52 PM
D
dmn
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Solid TG over old 2-3" plank subfloor dilemma

Okay. So I moved in this house recently. I refinished the floors before I moved in. However, one room had carpet which I pulled up and underneath that was the old strip subfloor. I don't know what kind of wood it is, has a light reddish hue after sanding, fine grain and no knots. Very pretty, but it's seen better days. I believe it's t&g because I can't see the light coming up from my basement (save a few holes). There are a few boards that move independently. Only two boards are cracked. There is a large gradual depression perpendicular to the joists 1/4" over 8', and several smaller areas 1/8" max. The adjacent dining room has been refloored and is higher, the door transition is stained wood, very wide and 1" high.

I have solid tg bamboo flooring that I would like to nail down over the subfloor and use a t-transition piece at the door. The bamboo is 5/8", so that leaves 3/8" for anything else. I assume (yes I know what that makes) I need plywood and a moisture barrier, and I need to level out the floor, and use the proper fasteners and tools.

Questions:
1. Would 1/4" oak or birch plywood be better or equivalent in strength to standard 3/8"?
2. To, or not to reseal the subfloor with polyeurethane or similar?
3. Moisture barrier above or below the new plywood?
4. I was thinking of using 15#felt to flatten the dips. Would that go above or below the plywood?
5. What use is the cushioning foam underlayment they sell for a hardwood floor? Does it increase or decrease the likelihood of movement/squeaking?
6. What would be the minimum length of nail I would want? 2 1/2"? I would like to nail the flooring perpendicular to the joists.

Old 09-11-07, 08:49 AM
D
dmn
perhaps these questions all make for separate posts? I'll also note the house is sitting on an 80yr old concrete foundation with no visible cracking, so I think the dips are just the framing settling over time.

Old 09-13-07, 11:06 AM
W
Get an estimate from a flooring professional ask him what he plans to do about these problems? Then do them the way they decribe.

Old 09-28-07, 06:31 PM
D
dmn
That wouldn't be very nice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: