Laminate vs Engineered HW in beach areas

Old 09-11-07, 06:10 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate vs Engineered HW in beach areas

Hello,
I'm new to this board, so hopefully this topic hasn't been beaten to death in the past. My wife and I just bought a beach condo in the east coast, and our first course of action is to pull out the dated/smelly carpet, and put in either laminate/Engineered HW. Our plan will be to allow the unit to be used as a weekly rental, for the season. I'm trying to find out which type of flooring is best for such a unit. We don't really want to do Ceramic tiles. I would love to hear about anyones experience with this type of issue.

Thanks.
-S

Old 09-13-07, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i think they would both perform about the same, but when the engineered wood gets really scuffed up from all the sand, you'll be able to refinish it. whereas the laminate can't be fixed at all, and would have to be replaced. so probably the engineered would be cheaper in the long run, altho more expensive initially.

Old 09-14-07, 04:26 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I would *seriously* consider using tile, unless this is a very high end rental, or you don't plan on renting it out very often.

Laminate will NOT hold up to abrasives, and you will likely be replacing it in less than a year, if it lasts that long (assuming weekly rentals).
And think about the first wet towel that's left laying on it...

Plank (ie REAL wood) flooring will hold up slightly better (but the finish won't), but at least it can be refinished many times, which you will probably be doing every year or two.

A non glazed tile will last a LONG time, the lack of glazing means it won't show wear and provides a non slip surface for wet beach goers.

How far from the beach is it?
If it's actually on the beach, forget about wood.

Old 09-14-07, 05:11 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,280 Upvotes on 1,218 Posts
People tracking in sand on their feet will destroy wood floor in a very short time. You need to reconsider ceramic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: