how to protect hardwood floors

Old 09-14-07, 06:06 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to protect hardwood floors

We are getting our hardwood floors refinished after 13 years. Is there anything you can put on the bottom of dining room chairs to prevent scratching the finish? We tried plastic bottoms you nail onto the leg of the chair but these tend not to do much for protection and quickly wear down to the nub.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-07, 06:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Unfortunately, I am not aware of anything that would help.

Old 09-17-07, 01:04 PM
D
How about felt furniture pads?

Old 09-17-07, 01:28 PM
C
use felt pads

We have been in the hardwood floor business for years--use the felt pads on all the furniture. Do not use the plastic tips that you hammer into the leg of the furniture. This will cause the weight to be distributed on that point only and could cause grooves in the floor.

Old 10-21-07, 09:18 AM
J
Originally Posted by cbtb00 View Post
We have been in the hardwood floor business for years--use the felt pads on all the furniture. Do not use the plastic tips that you hammer into the leg of the furniture. This will cause the weight to be distributed on that point only and could cause grooves in the floor.
I am in a similiar situation. I have a VERY heavy entertainment center, which is currently sitting on "moving men" (foam with plastic bottoms), which guarentees an easy move. They do not work, I haven't been able to budge the entertainment center and I know that once I do they will scratch the floor. I am going to be getting the floors redone, so I am not so worried about scratching it now but I AM worried about doing it afterwards. The entertainment center has a leg at each corner and that is the only part that touches the floor. What could I put under the legs that will not only allow me to move it if needed in the future but also protect the floor?

Old 10-21-07, 11:59 AM
T
Check at home centers for self-adhesive felt pads. Sheets of the material are also available and can be cut to size for placement on larger pieces of furniture and on rocking chair bottoms. There are also self-adhesive disks in a variety of sizes. You will likely also see the carpet-backed furniture cups for placing under sofa and bed legs.