Sub-floor req'd to install laminate flooring?

Old 09-14-07, 07:33 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sub-floor req'd to install laminate flooring?

Hello,

I'm getting ready to install Pergo Glueless laminate flooring throughout my house. The house was built in 1973 and the floor is not made of wood. Its made of an unknown material that looks like compressed gray paper that is 1" thick. The problem is the floor is very uneven throughout the house. Now, I was told by Home-depot that a floating floor can be laid on top of uneven floor and it would work fine; hence they call it "floating floor". IS THIS TRUE?

I really have reservation about laying my entire house based on what the expert at Home-depot told me, but since they are the professional, I assume they would know. Would you agree?. I would hate to laid all flooring than have to tear it back-up if Home-depot was wrong. Any advice would be great.

Old 09-14-07, 11:37 PM
S
It has been my experience that the "professionals" at the big box stores rarely are. This would seem to be one of those occasions. Read the fine print on the instruction sheet of the material you're looking at. There should be a floor flatness requirement for the material in there somewhere. Typically, the floor has to have a deflection of no more than an eighth of an inch in an eight foot radius, or something like that. The requirement varies with different material manufacturers. These floors have a snap together system and the locking mechanism that holds the individual planks together will not tolerate too much movement. Each manufacturer has determined what "too much movement" is for their product and has specified their flatness requirements accordingly. If the floor does not meet their flatness requirement and the material fails after installation, the warranty on the material will be void.

Old 09-15-07, 06:40 AM
O
Hello Smokey49,

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm new to this "do it yourself" stuff so I put alot of trust in those so called professional. From what they told about the floating floor, it turnes out to be misleading. But I guess you live and learn and this is 1 of those time. I'm just glad I posted this question before I get started. I appreciate your advice. Thank you very much.

Old 09-15-07, 04:50 PM
S
No problem, glad to help. I agree, it's good to ask questions BEFORE the cash changes hands.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: