Hardwood Floor Installation - Expansion Gap

Old 09-24-07, 08:42 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardwood Floor Installation - Expansion Gap

I have puchased BR-111, 3/4" inch thick and 5 1/5" wide, Brazilian Chestnut hardwood. I have hired a flooring company to install the hardwood on the First Floor (study room 11'x11', living room and dining room are next to each other without room divider, the totoal size is 15'x40' approx.). I am living in Virginia State.

When the hardwood floor installer installed the first few fleet of hardwood in the study, I found they did not leave any expansion gap. As soon as I found out, I stopped them and asked them to add expansion gap. The installer claimed that he had 7-year experience and argued that the expansion gap is not necessary for BR-111 solid wood floor even it is mentioned in the BR-111 installation manual.

The end result of the installation is the study room has mininum expansion gap. The dining room and living room have 1/4" expansion gap.

My question is: (1) Do we need expansion gap? (2) Is 1/4" enough for living room and dining room? (3) If not, what should I do now? Can I just remove the baseboard and trim off some more hardwood?

Thank you

***Moderator's note: Duplicate thread
created in Bamboo and Exotic wood has
been deleted***

Last edited by DIYaddict; 09-24-07 at 10:06 AM. Reason: See note in post
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-07, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Bob2007 View Post
I have puchased BR-111, 3/4"

My question is: (1) Do we need expansion gap? (2) Is 1/4" enough for living room and dining room? (3) If not, what should I do now? Can I just remove the baseboard and trim off some more hardwood?

1.) Yes

2.) Maybe, maybe not, Usually the expansion gap is the same dimensions as the flooring is thick.

3.a.) Cut an expansion gap.
3.b.) Yes, or shave and vacuum the sheetrock.

Old 09-25-07, 09:36 AM
B
The tool for cutting expansion gap

Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright View Post
1.) Yes

2.) Maybe, maybe not, Usually the expansion gap is the same dimensions as the flooring is thick.

3.a.) Cut an expansion gap.
3.b.) Yes, or shave and vacuum the sheetrock.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Do you have any suggestion what tool I can use to trim the installed hardwood floor effectively along the wall? Is anything I have to pay extra attention when I do that?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-28-07, 06:37 AM
An undercut saw. Use it like the wall is the floor, in normal use.