Flexible Transition moulding

Old 09-25-07, 01:59 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flexible Transition moulding

I want to install an engineered flooring product but my transitions leave me stumped before I even lay the first peice. I want to pre-plan so here goes: the transistion between tile floor and wood floor has a 90 degree curve to it. The radius is approx 3.5 ft on one.... and 6 ft on the other. I can't find a moulding that will support the traffic and / or the look. I know I need 1/4" gap to allow for expansion but just finding the moulding is the real trick. Been to Trimster.com.....Ultraflexmoulding.com and nothing seems to work . I'm all of this is due to my ignorance I'm sure.... Any thoughts?

Thanx in advance

Old 09-26-07, 02:19 PM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Where the cows roam, CA
Posts: 2,131
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the DIY forums jpriestly

This previous thread should give you some more ideas. I hope it helps while waiting for a pro or someone else to chime in here.

Old 10-02-07, 01:06 PM
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Same problem here

Hi Jim,

Don't worry, your not alone. I'm trying to figure out where to find some type of flexible T-moulding that I can use between my family room and kitchen, and have had little fruit for my labor. I haven't quite figured out the degree of curve I'm dealing with, but I believe it's 90 degrees, and it's total length will need to be about 4 feet. I checked out that other thread, and that is somewhat helpful, but since my moulding doesn't butt up against anything, ie the fireplace, the issue is more complicated. I've called around locally and have found no places that have this moulding. One place told me they have a "mushroom cap" moulding that could maybe be flexed a little bit, but will not bend significantly. Most places have recommended I have someone come out and modify the tile (tile has been there for 6+ yrs) so that I can have a straight edge, but I don't have much spare tile to work with in the event they screw it up (I sure don't feel comfortable modifying/jacking up tile). I'd rather pay extra cash and get a nice moulding, than risk having to retile or tacky mismatched tile.

Hopefully it's ok to give links to companies. There are virtually none out there that do this, as it's apparently a pretty innovative option that's just getting starting to get popular... go figure.

Here are a couple links for places that seem to have flexible moulding.

Outwater Catalogs

My wife called this company, but it is only a vender to retailers, not consumers. Maybe contact them and see who they distribute to in your area.
Empire Mouldings

Sorry if this is long winded...


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: