refinish vs. replace engineered floor

Old 09-26-07, 07:50 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
refinish vs. replace engineered floor

Hi all,

I'd like your opinions on my situation please.

My kitchen/hallway/powder room flooring is engineered oak (about 400 sq ft). It's a cement floor and glued down. It was installed by the builder so I'm sure it's mediocre quality and can only be refinished one or maybe two times. I'm not too concerned about this because I am probably only staying in the house for maybe another 2 years.

The living room/dining room next to the wood floors is carpeted (about 800 sq ft).

From an economical/selling standpoint, should I:

a) refinish the existing engineered floors and install unfinished ones where the carpet used to be. Then stain and refinish the entire floor so it looks uniform.

b) pull up all the existing wood floors and replace everything with new engineered hardwood.

or maybe...

c) just replace the carpet (probably cheapest option, I know)

It's a townhouse I'd be one of the rare ones that had hardwoods throughout the first floor. The others I've seen have tile, vinyl, carpet, pergo, etc. I like the idea of hardwoods having an edge up on the competition when I go to sell it but not if it's going to cost me a bundle

Thanks much!

Lori

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-07, 09:48 PM
S
I think I would pull up enough of the carpet to get a look at the edge of the engineered wood. Some of them do not allow any refinish because the wear layer is so thin you'd go through it. By looking at the edge of it, you'll be able to determine the thickness of the wear layer and be better armed to make your final decision. With the real estate market such as it is now, if it's thick enough to refinish, I think I'd go for option "A" for the reason you mentioned. If you have heater vent holes, you can pull the cover and get to the edge of the flooring that way also.

Old 09-28-07, 06:25 AM
Depends what you want to do. Just a finish, no problem, scuff the surface and apply the finish you want to use.

A sand down to bare wood, can be risky, with a rotary peel engineered. Good luck finding an unfinished engineered, thinner then 5/8" thick. Most of the older engineereds are 3/8 thick.