A possible solution for pool table on laminate flooring?

Old 09-28-07, 07:40 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A possible solution for pool table on laminate flooring?

I'm a little nervous about placing a heavy (900 lbs) pool table on a laminate floor. The area has an L-shaped bar 8 feet from the pool table, we are going to install the laminate around the bar so nothing gets locked in.

Since I'm thinking about it right now... Emptying the bar of its contents and taking it apart to remove the existing carpet would be a huge job in itself. Can we just leave it where it is and cut the carpet around it?

Sorry, back to the topic. I will try to clearly explain the idea I have. What about using T-Molding and making a square platform where each pool table leg would be? Each leg would rest on its own little "floor"... maybe 12"x12"? (the bottom of the legs are only 3 inches in diameter)... I would leave the proper expansion area under the molding so the floor around these little "floor's" can move on its own? Hope that makes sense!

I originally thought about installing a slate tile under each leg (or some other tile that could handle the weight) 900 lbs over 4 legs is... 225lbs per leg. (that's how it works, right?) My husband weighs that much and he wouldn't break a tile.

What does everyone think? Will it help?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-07, 10:28 AM
D
jules,

Here's an old thread I thought might help you out a bit in the meanwhile:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...ood+pool+table

A lot will have to do with the quality of the laminate wood.

As far as the bar, you can just cut the carpet around it. Just be sure you leave that expansion gap as required.

That's a good thought on the Tmold around each leg of the pool table, but what IF you change your mind about the pool table or want to move it? OR sell your home? That'd be really odd. I just think it'd be a bit "funky" looking.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Check back as the pros will give you more info

Old 09-28-07, 12:00 PM
J
Thanks, DIY. Actually, I saw that thread earlier and it made me realize that going around the bar was totally necessary. The bar will be left with the house, it's too big to move. It looks like it was made for the space so hopefully it will be a plus when it comes time to sell.

I'm hoping the same holds true for the pool table! We use it often so I can't imagine getting rid of it.

Maybe I could make the squares smaller than 12x12 so they aren't very obvious? As I said, the legs aren't huge where they touch the floor.

We will not be buying the cheapest stuff out there so maybe I'm worrying too much? I can live with the look of my little squares idea if it means the floor around it would never have an issue.