can i seal or finish an engineered hardwood?

Old 10-25-07, 08:30 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy can i seal or finish an engineered hardwood?

just wondering if anyone out there knows if i can seal an engineered hardwood floor with urethane, or floor sealer, or even a product like DuraSeal....this engineered hardwood has a wood top layer that does have a finish on it, an mdf middle layer and a hardwood bottom layer...about 5/8" thick....any information would be great! it is installed in my dance studio...looks great but is not good with my tap shoes...the floor is getting really badly scuffed and leaving black dust like particles (almost like soot) and is making it hard to clean, so i thought a dura seal product would be good (like they use on gym floors)

Old 10-25-07, 10:07 PM
S
My initial reaction is, yes, you can. That is supposed to be the main advantage to engineered wood over laminate. Having said that, it will depend on the grade of engineered you used. The cheaper ones have a wear layer so thin that refinishing is not an option. In that instance, you'd be better off with a laminate.

Old 10-26-07, 07:23 AM
We just installed engineered hardwood in our kitchen. Our research indicated you can refinish this stuff about two times before you wear through the hardwood layer. I would assume you could put an extra layer of protection on top soon after installation to beef up that protection.

You may also want to check your warranty to see what is covered and what is not - though I fear tap shoes may be beyond "normal wear and tear".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: