Refinishing Old Pine Flooring, which product?

Old 10-26-07, 03:55 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refinishing Old Pine Flooring, which product?

Hello all,

We are currently restoring an old (1863) home. At some point in time someone installed a Pine floor in the living room. The floor is about 2 3/4 wide boards with very straight dark grain going through it.

Anyway, I want to stain it walnut as I layed a hand scraped floor in an adjacent roomand would now like to color match the floors. I am going to have to stick to the water based products as I have young children and do not want them to have to deal with the smell. The area is very high traffic.

I expect to stain to match, seal, then poly ( two to three coats). My question is is there a specific manufacturer that stands out above all the rest or are they all basically the same?

Thanks in advance .

Markl

Old 10-26-07, 05:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I think that rather than worrying about what brand to use, I would go to a paint store (not a paint department in a big store) and tell them what you want to do so they can be involved in the process of matching the stain in the other room, which is going to be the tricky part. Any chance you have any scraps of either floor?

Old 10-26-07, 08:20 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I do have scraps and will take them to color match but I want to be sure about the product I use.

It needs to be very durable as this is a heavily traffic area. I was trying to avoid oil base but it seems that the water based products are just not as durable.

Old 10-26-07, 09:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Check with a wood flooring distributor and see if they also sell finishes. I don't know if they will sell to diyers. I don't remember the brand name but there is atleast 1 water based finish that is a 2 part coating [mix in catylist] and is supposed to be fairly durable.

I agree that a real paint store would be the best place to get the stain matched but you can probably find a more durable coating [to go over the stain] at a floor store [not big box]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: