Soft Spot Laminate Flooring

Old 10-29-07, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Soft Spot Laminate Flooring

I have laminate flooring installed in my condo. There is a large soft spot in my dining room due to the concrete being uneven underneath the laminate. Besides ripping it up and levelling the concrete underneath, is there anything I can do to correct the problem? Can I drill a small hole and fill the space with something?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-07, 10:03 AM
Welcome to the DoItYourself.com forums bubba

No pro, but if the floor is unlevel, the correct procedure would be to have leveled it in the beginning. I know no other corrective measure other than to disassemble the flooring and correct the spot and then reassemble.

Old 10-31-07, 08:42 AM
Disassembling, leveling concrete, and then reassembling is a HUGE job. Even if your floor is a floated, you'll have to take off all the baseboards/moldings and potentially rip up any pieces that may have been glued down to go around corners/edges.

What is wrong with the soft spot? Is the board broken or does it just give a little when you step on it? How much (in inches?)

If the board just gives a little, honestly, I'd say leave it and forget it. You are looking at a lot of time to fix what is potentially not a big problem. The best idea is to just leave it alone, and if the board breaks or causes a problem in the future, address it then. Thats just my opinion though

Old 11-06-07, 03:15 PM
The floor was not installed to manufacturer requirements. Basically the warranty has been voided, by going over a substandard substrate. Because of the flex, the edges will chip, and the locking joints will crack and the flooring will develop gaps.

The only fix, is to remove the flooring, and do what was suppose to be done, before the flooring went down.

If you payed for a professional installation, your beef is with the installer.