Installing hardwood on curved stairs

Old 11-05-07, 07:41 AM
Installing hardwood on curved stairs

Iím thinking of replacing the carpet in my home with hardwood including the stairs. However, three of the bottom stairs are curved at one end. Is it possible to get hardwood to fit that shape. If not what are the options for installing hardwood on those stairs.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-07, 02:23 PM
While some do install hardwood on stairs, it's not a professional looking stair tread. Stair treads are usually a solid piece of wood with a curved nose. Curved stair treads are custom.

For those who install hardwood flooring on stairs, they install a stair nose at the front of the tread. On curved stairs, I do not believe that there is such a trim piece.

Old 11-08-07, 01:27 AM
Thanks - looking into it, it appears that to do stairs you need solid pieces designed for that purpose. I'm still not clear if I can remove the carpet and then install the solid wood over what is underneath. I assume that it is possible. I will need to speak to a company making these - I found a few on the web. However, it is possible to install on curved stairs although these may have to be made to order.

Old 03-09-08, 06:08 AM
Yes you can , It's not very hard you need to us a tread cover type system I do it a lot you need to make a template of the treads that are curved

I you visit this web site and e-mail them they can help www.customraildesign.com

Old 03-09-08, 10:35 AM
Good topic.. I too, may be in a similar position. A client of mine that Im doing some work for, had his fatherinlaw install red oak flooring upstairs..and I helped him out for the cutting/scribbing of the oak to fit around the circular landing. He has asked me about doing the steps...which are 'fanned out' to form the circular treads/stairs.
I was thinking of the 'template' route, then layout the # of boards needed to cover the template/area, (taking into consideration the nose) trace the shape on the boards and cut according, then either assemble the pieces 1st, probably with glue and install as 1 unit, with a nose cap in front, or install 1 board at a time and finish with nose cap. But in this case, the treads just 'fan' out - straight edge/caps...Except the last step...which is your delema..! - and this one too!
On my stairs, which fan out, I was only installed 'end' caps and risers ends. Those I ordered, including the template I provided them for the 'flared' end caps.
You'll probably have to go 'custom' for the curved ends to make it look right .