Expansion gap - is it too late?

Old 11-08-07, 09:13 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Expansion gap - is it too late?

I got engineered hardwood floor installed in my living room (by a “professional”). I noticed that some of the boards started buckling. I suspect that there is not enough room to expand. Will it help if I widen a gap between the floors and wall? (there is no room for expansion at balcony door)

Is there anything I can do?

I appreciate any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-07, 06:02 AM
M
Originally Posted by zuzu12 View Post
I got engineered hardwood floor installed in my living room (by a “professional”). I noticed that some of the boards started buckling. I suspect that there is not enough room to expand. Will it help if I widen a gap between the floors and wall? (there is no room for expansion at balcony door)

Is there anything I can do?

I appreciate any ideas.
How was the floor installed? Is it floating?

Old 11-09-07, 09:15 AM
Z
It is floating floor ( Brazilian cherry). He used cork underlayment on the top of concrete subfloor (I have infloor heating as well).

Old 11-17-07, 02:24 PM
B
If the problem is actually insufficient gap for expansion, you have a couple of options depending on the cause.

If the cause is the floor molding extending below the level of the floor, remove the quarter round and use a jamp saw (electric) to cut the molding off to increase room for expansion.

If the molding is above the floor level and the floor extends under it, you can either cut back the drywall or cut the floor and the drywall using a jamp saw.

No siler bullet, Hope this helps.

Old 11-18-07, 05:27 AM
S
If you had this installed by a "professional", why are you trying to repair it? Hold his feet to the fire and make him honor his warranty. If, for some reason, this is not an option, follow the last advice given, it will solve the problem. Most good rental places will have an electric jamb saw. To relieve pressure against walls, cutting back the sheet rock so the material can move under it is the simplest fix. If this isn't doable, putting the saw on the wall instead of the floor and letting it cut the flooring will give you some help.

Old 11-18-07, 08:16 PM
There needs to be expansion at the balcony door! Well basically, everywhere. If it is locked in, it will buckle. If you have heavy furniture like filled bookshelves, it can add to the locked in effect, even if the expansion space exists. Especially if there are two heavy things and they sit opposite of each other

Old 11-22-07, 06:32 PM
E
Cork underlayment on top of on grade slab could easily be excess moisture. Was a moisture test performed? Moisture will cause a floor to expand more than the expansion gap can handle.