Engineered Floor Crackles

Old 11-21-07, 07:38 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Engineered Floor Crackles

Thanks for the replay.

The underlayment has all kinds of waves when I lay it down.

I thought the same thing about it settling and such.

Last edited by BobLoblaw; 11-21-07 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-21-07, 07:58 AM
I recently had the same problem with my laminate installed floating over concrete. The floor was pretty darn flat (less than 1/8" deflection). I determined that the crackling was coming from the 6 mil plastic I put underneath. I laid the plastic as flat as I could, but it's still holding the floor up in a couple places where it's wrinkled, or especially where the plastic overlaps. I did the second room and took extra care to make it as smooth as possible. It's much better, but still a few crackles. I did notice in the first room that after a week or two with furniture and constant use that the crackling had lessened considerably, indicating the plastic was getting compressed.

I'm not positive how smooth the 3-in-1 underlayment goes down, but that could be your issue. Not sure exactly how to fix it, other than it should settle down after a little while of use. Maybe the pros have some better advice.

Old 11-21-07, 08:07 AM
B
I recently installed Bruce hardwood flooring on concrete floors with the 3 in 1 underlayment.

Prior to installing the wood, I checked the floor by laying a flashlight on it's side and looking for shadows. It appeared that the inconsistencies were insignificant.

After installing about half of the flooring, you can hear crackles in certain spots when walking on it. I looked to see if the flooring itself was uneven. There are spots that deflect less than 1/8" and you can only tell this by shining a light overhead and stepping on it.

How can I fix the floor from crackling?

Last edited by BobLoblaw; 11-21-07 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-22-07, 09:00 AM
E
1/8" deflection board to board is too much, the creaking sound is most likely the wood rubbing at the joint. Most manufacturers limit subfloor variance to "3/16th in 8 feet" or something simular. The floor will float over low spots and when stepped on will collapse and force the wood to slip along the joint (which being deflected, is in a bind) thus causing a creak or a squeak. Proper floor prep is the answer.
If there are only one or two areas, sometimes working talc into the joint will help.

Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: