removing old carpet

Old 11-25-07, 07:51 AM
Question removing old carpet

I have an old house that has hardwood floors that have been covered by carpet for years. I am wanting to remove the carpet but when I pulled up a corner of the carpet the old matting has partially desinigrated onto the hardwoods in one room there is even old tile and some black stuff crystalized to the floor. Is there anyway to remove this with out alot of expense and knowledge?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-09, 09:10 AM
Old carpet revealed gooked and stained floors

I am having the same issue with pulling up old carpet only have one major problem. Oil paints soaked through the carpet to hardwood floor underneath on one half of the room. I can only get the top layers off. A power sander was rented. It removes the gook, but the stain remains. Would I be better off staining the floors dark or should I paint?

Old 06-10-09, 03:33 PM
Is it the entire 'other half of the room' or just a few areas? What type of wood? I had a similar problem when we pulled our cartpets out, a lot of dark stains from the previous owners pet.

If your dealing with a few bad spots I'd say your options are
- use a darker finish on the entire floor to hide stains
- cut out the stains and replace with new boards (or from a closet or other room if you can't find a match at your lumber yard / flooring store)
- don't do anything if the stains will wind up being covered by furniture or area rugs. You'd be surprised what you no longer see once the room is filled back up by your stuff.

I replaced/patched the flooring that was in main traffic and viewing areas of the room but knowing where the couch was going to go I left them alone. Might be the lazy man's way out but sometimes you need to know when to pick your battles.