Engineered Hardwood over Concrete Slab

Old 12-01-07, 04:41 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Engineered Hardwood over Concrete Slab

We were told by one contractor that we should not put engineered wood over a concrete slab because with temperature changes, we would see shrinking when it was cold. However, we were then told by two different sales people at two different stores that you absolutely can use engineered over concrete. One recommended Bellawood product as it is thicker, but that would entail glueing and we would prefer to float the floor. We like a couple of Bruce's engineered colors too. I feel like we would be sorry if we went with laminate even though we are trying to save money. Any thoughts on these two items?
1)can we put engineered wood on concrete
2)if so, is engineered better/preferable to laminate?

Thanks!

Old 12-03-07, 02:02 PM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
you can absolutely use engineered over concrete.

Old 12-04-07, 11:00 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Keep in mind, even laminate wood flooring expands and contracts. Definitely go with what you like! There's really nothing wrong with laminate wood unless you just don't like it. If you don't like it, don't go with it. I have laminate wood flooring in my home and absoultely love it, but then again, I was going for what my budget was and self installation. Try looking at other manufacturer's laminate woods. Some really look like wood.

Some manufacturers (for engineered wood flooring) have the option to float and some don't. Regardless of what you "want" the installers need to follow the manufacturers installation instructions. Since you prefer to float the floor, don't go with Bellawood. That simple.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: