Input wanted on laminate

Old 12-02-07, 06:11 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Input wanted on laminate

I like Dupont's Real Touch Elite Walnut lamniate flooring. Any input on this particular product?
Also, how do I go about finding someone to install this? Do I just use whoever Home Depot suggests? I really want someone who knows what they are doing,
Will this person also take out the carpet and ceramic tile? Will they level the concrete slab? Should I ask them to level the concrete slab?

Old 12-02-07, 07:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
DuPonts flooring is decent and I have not heard any complaints about it.

You can have the installer do whatever you want, but it will cost you more.

Home Depot can do all this, and the measurer will jot down all the required prep needed and forward that back to the store/installer.

I believe HD charges around $1/sqft to remove carpet, and probably alot more for the tile.

You could do all this yourself to save you some money.

Old 12-03-07, 06:55 AM
C
In the past year I have put down nearly 750 sf of Dupont Elite in my house. I like the way it looks, and so far it is standing up decently to 3 hyperactive Dalamatians.

Old 12-04-07, 09:31 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SAAdds1
Will they level the concrete slab? Should I ask them to level the concrete slab?
Don't ask them to level it. Whomever you hire to install the flooring should already be checking to see if the subfloor is FLAT (not "level"). If you don't see them doing this prior to installation, they're doing something wrong.

Have you considered doing this yourself? If you're motivated, have some skills, know how to read and understand directions, have a few tools needed (or can rent/borrow some), have the energy and time...you should consider doing it yourself. The guys/gals around here are really good at helping out.

BTW: Welcome to the DoItYourself.com forums

Old 12-06-07, 04:05 PM
S
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
Don't ask them to level it. Whomever you hire to install the flooring should already be checking to see if the subfloor is FLAT (not "level"). If you don't see them doing this prior to installation, they're doing something wrong.

Have you considered doing this yourself? If you're motivated, have some skills, know how to read and understand directions, have a few tools needed (or can rent/borrow some), have the energy and time...you should consider doing it yourself. The guys/gals around here are really good at helping out.

BTW: Welcome to the DoItYourself.com forums
Thanks for the welcome. We are not handy at all, so we must hire someone to do the work.
I also have looked at a Tarkett ScenicPlus and a Wilsonart Classic Plank 5. I don't think I can afford the Wilsonart (The quote was $200-$2500 more than the Tarkett - at 2 different businesses.) I haven't heard anything about Tarkett. Is the ScenicPlus their entry-level product? The salesperson could not give me an AC rating. Is that something I need to run away from? This is just so confusing!!!

Old 12-07-07, 10:28 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
No pro, so I'm not familiar with Tarkett Scenic Plus, BUT I looked on the web and found that the AC rating for this product is AC3 which means it "can be applied to more varied locations, such as small offices and other light commercial locations" which is stated here: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._flooring.html

You might want to look online at other companies that sell the same product as you might be able to find it for less and then find some floor installers and get at least 3 quotes. Ask around with friends and neighbors if they have anyone they can refer you to. When you talk to the installers, go with one you'll feel comfortable with. The more they know, the better it is. One thing to look out for is to make sure they do not install the flooring the same day as the flooring needs to acclimated. They should know about this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: