Is it necessary to remove the baseboard?

Old 12-03-07, 06:01 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is it necessary to remove the baseboard?

I am planning on putting down laminate flooring. Is necessary to remove the baseboard before the installation?
The room where the laminate flooring is going has had more than one coat of paint applied to them. I do not want to mess up the paint or baseboard by removing it if it is not necessary.

Old 12-03-07, 06:51 AM
C
You don't HAVE to, but you will need to cover the gap with shoe molding such as quarter round.

Old 12-04-07, 10:30 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I agree. But, IMO, I don't like the look with quarter round. You may or may not. It IS easier and unnecessary to do it with quarter round, however, you might have to paint the quarter round too.

If you want to remove the existing baseboards, just cut the paint seam along the top of the baseboards with a sharp utility knife.

BTW: Welcome to the DoItYourself.com forums

Old 12-05-07, 05:51 AM
I
I think it looks much better and more professional if you do remove the baseboards. And like the others have said, either way you will probably have to repaint them anyway. New quarter round will have to be painted so it will match the baseboards. So why not just paint the baseboards instead?

I'm saying this because I made that mistake in my house I put down quarter round but I wish I had taken up the baseboards instead.

Old 12-05-07, 06:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,289 Upvotes on 1,227 Posts
May seem like more work now to remove the baseboards, but in the long run it might be less work this way to get a look you like.

Old 12-06-07, 06:40 AM
E
a little more time spent in prep......better floor later

take off the baseboards, the install will be much easier:

easier to cut door jambs and work around them

easier to slide planks under jambs

less intricate cuts around doors

much less chance of locking in floor and having issues later

just my 2 cents

Old 01-03-08, 10:00 AM
D
I'm new to doing this and wanna do it right, the first time. What is the easiest way to pull up the baseboards without damaging them?

I'm assuming they are nailed in so a little crow-bar and pulling sounds like the only way but I'm afraid of breaking one. If I break one baseboard then I need to buy all new ones so they match.

Old 01-03-08, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Baseboard

I'd have to say it depends on the baseboard. When i did my foyer, I pulled all the shoe off, put in the laminate (leaving a space) then installed new shoe stained to the color i wanted. Yes, lost about 5/16" of baseboard height, but with all the new sorta-wood in there, you didn't even notice. I was lucky, no door jambs to cut (that would come on a later project!) If you have really old tall base, I'm sure you'd never see it. I know it would make it a bear to replace the base later if necessary (no room to pry it out).

jmo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: