Maybe some water under my laminate floor

Old 12-06-07, 10:14 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Maybe some water under my laminate floor

Hi- I am in Seattle and we just had some flooding in our partially remodeled basement.

The unfinished side of the basement had about 1/2 in. of standing water. On the finished side we have laminate floor (with a moisture barrier under and concrete floor) and there was one area where you could feel and hear some squishing when you put pressure on the floor. I was even able to push some water out from under the floor onto the unfinished side (the transition was never really finished so the floor just ends in the doorway) and the unfinished side is just concrete.

Our basement is fairly dry now and the squishing sound has gone away. We removed the baseboard in some areas and checked the drywall. There is no evidence that the water ever got too high.

Do I need to tear up the whole floor anyway or just the areas I think were effected? Should I be worried about mold?

Can I just wait it out to see if the floor starts warping and address the problem later? (btw it Harmonics brand from Costco)

The air in our basement is really dry again (we were even thinking about running our humidifier last night as our infant has a cold). Any chance the moisture will dry out or is it stuck under there untill we expose it?

Thanks for any input.

Old 12-07-07, 10:53 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
No pro but uh...I'd disassemble the flooring and make sure you have no issues. Might be a little late, but if you see water on the laminate wood, get it dry! Don't wait for anything to dry on it's own. Laminate wood cannot "survive" if it's sitting in water. I assume the basement is going to be fixed so you won't have water/flood issues again?

BTW: Welcome to the DoItYourself.com forums

Last edited by DIYaddict; 12-07-07 at 02:08 PM. Reason: word "dismantle" to "disassemble"
Old 12-07-07, 01:15 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with DIY, the water under the floor will not completely dry out and nothing good can happen over time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: