Laminate floor repair???

Old 12-11-07, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laminate floor repair???

I installed a wood laminate floor in our dining room. It looks nice (doesn't "sound" right, but that's another issue) but recently one of pets had an "accident" that went unnoticed until it had completely evaporated or was absorbed by the flooring.

Several plank edges have curled up a bit. Is there anything I can do to flatten those back down? The "board" doesn't appear swollen - just the thin top laminate layer is curling.

Can I put down a towel and use an iron to gently heat the area? If I do, will I activate enough preexisting adhesive to get it to stick back down?

Any suggestions short of taking up the floating floor and replacing those boards whould be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-07, 04:53 PM
No other suggestions but to disassemble and replace as I'm sure you're dreading to do, but I think it's the right and best thing to do. Sorry I think it'd be a good idea anyway b/c the floor may start to smell bad.

Old 06-06-11, 01:20 PM
Had the exact same problem (two weeks after flooring was installed!)... So I cleaned up the mess with a pet urine "remover", dried it really well and then got out the iron and a cotton tea towel (not too thick). Put the towel down, turned the iron on to MEDIUM, (no steam, just dry heat) - pressed down fairly hard. KEEP CHECKING EVERY FEW SECONDS UNDER THE TOWEL TO MAKE SURE IT'S NOT MELTING!!!

After about five minutes I turned the heat up to MEDIUM HOT and pressed down for another five minutes. Turned it up to HOT (not as hot as it can go though) and did it again. It WORKED!!

Total time: About 15 minutes for one repaired section which was about 12 inches long. Had three places to repair and it worked on every section. A bit time consuming but totally worth it. *** Just be VERY careful not to turn the heat up to HOT too fast - otherwise it may just scorch/melt the laminate. Then the pieces will have to be totally replaced.

Last edited by puffngib; 06-06-11 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-06-11, 01:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Three and a half year old thread