new red oak

Old 12-17-07, 06:56 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new red oak

Hello,

We just moved into a house that was built in 1906 and set out to have the floors refinished in the downstairs (living room, dining room and foyer). When the guy went to refinish the floor there were all sorts of issues that even I could see as a non-floor expert. It was very thin, there were a gazillion sheetrock nails and there were gaps throughout.

As a result heis putting new floors in. The previous floors, even with the carpet on, had an uneven flow. It would dip a bit in some areas and rise near the fireplace and walls. Now the the new floors are on there is no more creaking or noises but there are still dips and hills. Is this normal for an old house with a new floor? I don't know what to expect.

Thanks.

Old 12-17-07, 07:12 PM
G
Yes for an old house that is normal. My house was built in 1961 and my floors are unlevel. I had white oak installed. Its fine, its probably just cosmetic and once you get some rugs down, and some furniture you will forget all about it.

Old 12-17-07, 07:54 PM
C
What a relief! Thank you!

Old 12-18-07, 06:30 AM
There are things that could have been done, but I guarantee, it would have put you way over budget.

Jacking and leveling the structure(which should be done regularly, and how often depends on your soil), and rebuilding the joist system. Did you want or afford to do something that extensive?

Old 12-18-07, 05:21 PM
C
No, there's no way we would have been able to afford that. We're new homeowners and still don't have furniture yet so I think we're just happy with what we have. Thanks for your help though, it's nice to know that people are looking out for us and not just feeding us info to keep us happy. I appreciate it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: