Question How how to install laminate flooring

Old 12-27-07, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How how to install laminate flooring

I just purchased Dream home's Charisma 7mm laminate flooring. I plan on installing it in my living room and family room. Both rooms are attached to each other, and are carpet at the current time. The entrance to the house is tile and it meets to the family room. Our Kitchen is also the same tile that is in the entrance way. The kitchen tile meets with the living room. Now here is my dilemma.
As I have pulled back my carpet I have noticed that there is about a 1" height difference between the bottom of the subfloor and the top of the tile. It looks like when they put down the tile they added to the existing subfloor. I measured the thickness of the laminate with the foam pad and I have got about 3/8", so that leaves me with about 5/8" of a height difference between the top of the tile and the top of the laminate. I bought the reducers that the manufacture offers, but they are still on order. I'm just wondering if they will make up that difference? Should I add 1/2" plywood the subfloor to make up some of that height? If I do add height how much work is to do it right? Also would this be more asthetically pleasing to the eye than having a 5/8 drop. I do plan on selling the home, so I want it to look good and be done right. Thank you for your time in responding

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-08, 10:06 PM
I plan on doing the same thing and have the same problem. How did you get around it?

Old 10-08-08, 08:58 PM
There are a couple of ways around this. An end cap molding turn so it drops down to the laminate. attaching it that way is real tricky.

Old 10-09-08, 09:46 AM
I would use a reducer molding versus an end cap. The only difference is the shape. Reducers slope like a ramp where end caps give you a vertical lip. You need to make sure either molding will cover the height difference.

Putting down 1/2" ply would be a bit of work and expense. Though I think it would look better in the end. Plus i'm not the friend that has to help either