Laminate to Hardwood Transition ?

Old 12-29-07, 09:22 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Laminate to Hardwood Transition ?

I am putting 8mm laminate in my home office and there is a double door to 3/4" hardwood. What is the best way to make the transition from the laminate to the hardwood ?

The laminate is .32" and the underlayment is .075", so if I put down 5.2 mm lauan over the subfloor, I could get the height close and maybe use a T threshold but they would not be exact. I;m afriad the T would be crooked or the tips break off.

It says a reducer is for going to a lower floor and doesn't seem right to use here. I also thought about a baby threshold butting up against the hardwood but I think I would need a gap for expansion which would not look good.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-30-07, 02:54 PM
watkinsFL
Visiting Guest
Samurai,
I've had the same problem and what I did was take a either a 1 x2 or a 1x4 piece of stock wood and resaw one side to the exact difference in height in your floors. For example...now you would have one side of your stock would be 3/4" and the other 1/2"...depending on how much you need to take off. Then flip the stock and resaw the entire peice of stock (it's easier to do it this way). After you resaw the entire piece of stock, you would have let's say 1/2" on one side and 1/4" on the other side. Now you have route or taper the edges to the desired look. Hope this helps. Tim

Old 01-01-08, 05:30 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: