matching wood or laminate to woodwork?

Old 12-29-07, 09:31 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
matching wood or laminate to woodwork?

I'm going to install a laminate or engineered wood floor (about 1,000 ft) in my downstairs area. Our oak fireplace, stair railings and built-in book case are somewhat of a butterscotch/spice stain color yet I haven't been able to find an exact match. Question: Is it necessary for the floor to be as close as possible to existing wood trim or would it be good enough as long as the new flooring has a touch of that specific color in it? How much lighter/darker can I go? thankyou...

Old 12-29-07, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
matching wood

Hi retgi

Heres what I know from experience. I put in laminate in my foyer, all my trim was stained in a sort of early american. The flooring was a sort of light mahogany with ebony diamonds inset in it. We left the baseboard in place and stained the shoe/quarter round a very dark mahogany. It was as close as we could get to the ebony-like diamonds.

I'm no bragger, but it looked great!! All the neighbors commented on it when they came thru the door.

BTW, most of our furniture at the time was either a honey or medium oak, in both the adjoining rooms.

Sometimes matching the stain is almost impossible depending on age, grain, etc, so going with a nice contrasting color can be the best option. It looked very rich and warm, which was what we were looking for in the entry. Good Luck

Best in 2008

Old 12-29-07, 01:00 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,290 Upvotes on 1,228 Posts
Wood doesn't have to match (which can be nearly impossible anyway, it just has to blend. My in-laws built a lake place a few years ago and the stringers for the stairs are pine with only oil based poly on them. The railings are oak and the color is therefore quite a bit different, but they look really good together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: