Hardwood and Tile with no transitions

Old 01-03-08, 11:26 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardwood and Tile with no transitions

I have carpet and tile right now with no visible transition between the two. Where the carpet ends, the tile starts very nicely at the same height. I want to do this with my hardwood installation. I don't like those T-joints that are raised above the height of the hardwood & tile.

How do I do this? instinctively, I was thinking of just running the wood right up to the tile but I've been hearing so much about a 1/4" gap to allow for expansion.

Please advise.

Old 01-03-08, 09:37 PM
Use an engineered wood, and you may get by with a very small gap, to fill.

All wood needs an expansion gap, regardless of what you want.

Old 01-04-08, 07:42 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you use engineered wood, you can make that transition fairly easily as mentioned above. If you use 3/4 true hardwood, the level of the wood floor will, more than likely, be above the level of the tile, requiring some sort of transition.

Old 01-04-08, 11:50 AM
D
My flooring is engineered 3/8" thick and my underlay is going to be .14". This will add up to 0.515". I'm hoping (and will find out as soon as I pull up the carpet) that this will be about the height of my current slate tile flooring (with underlay).

So if I have a "small gap to fill", what do I fill it with?

See my drawing below (T stands for Tile and H for Hardwood).

TTTTT <GAP> HHHHHH

I don't want the <GAP> to have anything that is higher than the Tile or the Hardwood. So when walking over it and stepping on it, I don't want to feel anything. Can I fill it with a caulking or something to allow expansion or do I just leave the GAP empty?

Old 01-04-08, 12:02 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can buy a matching wood filling caulk that will fill the void well - and allows for expansion of the wood down the road to some extent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: