Metal Flashing Trim

Old 01-03-08, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Metal Flashing Trim

OK, so this is my third project of the sort. I have done previous laminate and bambo installs. They both came out ok, but wished instructions could focus more on the undercutting on doors.

I am about to start my third, laminate in a basement. Aside from the fact that I have to figure out how to anchor my trim into the concrete. I would like to use metal flashing to match other trim usage in my basement. I have a few areas that will transition from laminate to a higher carper. Actual usage will not be too bad, but I have the problem that I will have to figure out how to do corners out of the flashing. Any suggestions? Home Depot and Lowe's are not very helpful on this. Is there any special type of flashing I should buy and if not, how do I cut for a corner? If this is a bad idea is there a generic way to do this without spending more on trim than the actual floor cost?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-08, 06:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What do you mean anchor trim to concrete? Do you not have walls with sheetrock and a bottom plate?

I'm not sure what you are talking about in regards to flashing? I picture flashing as being on the outside of the home to prevent rain intrusion?

Just use transition strips going from laminate to carpet.

Old 01-04-08, 10:40 AM
Transistion from laminate to carpet area

I want to use metal trim, like what you would see at thresholds.

The issue is how to handle the joint?

Old 01-15-08, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Bonticus View Post
OK, so this is my third project of the sort. I have done previous laminate and bambo installs. They both came out ok, but wished instructions could focus more on the undercutting on doors.

I am about to start my third, laminate in a basement. Aside from the fact that I have to figure out how to anchor my trim into the concrete. I would like to use metal flashing to match other trim usage in my basement. I have a few areas that will transition from laminate to a higher carper. Actual usage will not be too bad, but I have the problem that I will have to figure out how to do corners out of the flashing. Any suggestions? Home Depot and Lowe's are not very helpful on this. Is there any special type of flashing I should buy and if not, how do I cut for a corner? If this is a bad idea is there a generic way to do this without spending more on trim than the actual floor cost?
Basically, what you'll want to do is cut the metal flashing with a 45 degree cut- that should work out just fine. The only thing I would worry about with this type of setup would be that there would be a risk of sharp edges being there- people with bare feet or socks could end up with cuts, no matter how hard you try to make the edging flat.

My PERSONAL recommendation would be to skip the metal flashing and go for wood. BUT-- don't waste your money on expensive wooden trim from the flooring people. Just go to home depot or whatever, buy a piece of wooden trim (check out the trim section for TONS of choices), get something in an OAK (not pine), and simply stain to match and cut and nail or screw down.

Make sure to ONLY attach the trim to the carpet side, and have the trim "float" just on top of the laminate.

In my old house, I had to re-do several transition strips when I ripped out carpeting and exposed nice wood floors. I used "trim" sections for every room and they turned out great. And it was cheap. You can get a nice long piece of oak trim (various shapes) for something like 6-8 bucks.

Old 01-15-08, 05:40 PM
Metal is going to look commercially, and kinda tacky, from my experience.

I would do a matching endcap, made to transition to carpet.