Transitions

Old 01-07-08, 12:14 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Transitions

I am preparing to install laminate flooring in new construction. While I have read several articles and guides on the installation of laminate flooring, none of them gave any detail on the installation of transitions. In particular, I am wondering about the postioning of transitions in doorways. The laminate will meet up with porcelain tile in the bathrooms and laundry room and for all other doorways it will be laminate to laminate.

Again, this is new construction and no doors or trim has been installed yet. Given that, at what point in the doorways should I plan for the transition piece to be located. Should it be centered between the wall surfaces or should it be positioned more towards the side that the door swings towards or?

Old 01-07-08, 02:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You typically want the transition to be in the middle of the door so you cant see the flooring transitions with the door shut.

t-molding and other types of reducers sometimes come with a plastic C type channel that you either glue or screw to the floor. You then take your transition piece and snap it in place.

Usually there is a bout 1/2" gap or so between the two floors.

Old 01-11-08, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have the plans, then it makes it easier to know which way the doors open. The threshold, will go directly under the closed door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: